Friday, April 29, 2011

“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.”

Gabby had a clinic visit yesterday. It was nothing special, nothing interesting. She had some blood drawn, and she likes to help the nurse transfer her blood into these little tubes. She knows the green and purple have to be shaken.

The nurse paused, and asked how old she is. "She's so mature for four!"

I don't want my 4 year old to be... mature.

We got our road map for the next phase of chemo, that she starts next week. It's called "Delayed Intensification", and they're not really joking. It's pretty intense. She'll lose her hair again, but we expected that. The Steroid makes another appearance. I was googling some of the drugs that are being introduced, and found this gem amongst the descriptions of side-effects:


Due to these side effects and its red color, it has earned the nickname "red
devil" or "red death."


Really?


That's really our BEST CHOICE FOR TREATING LEUKEMIA IN A FOUR YEAR OLD CHILD?


I've been freaking out a little (in case you hadn't noticed...) about the half this weekend. Can I stick the pace I'd like to, for 13 miles? Seems so tough.


Probably less tough than giving your child an IV loaded with "red death".


In the end, my goal time is irrelevant.


We raised, you, me, this blog, over $2000 for Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation.


The team I'm on raised over $45,000.


That all goes to find better treatments. Treatments better than this.


You can still donate through this weekend, LINK HERE.


But you can make a difference in so many other ways, too.


Volunteer for an event. Volunteer for office work, for a local foundation or charity. Volunteer at a local children's hospital.


Kids are resilient. They're stronger than we think. They take their treatments, and they often don't say a word. They don't complain. They don't let it phase them.


But they shouldn't have to be strong. They shouldn't have to be mature. They should be... kids.



Anyway.


Enough preachy preachy.


A bunch of people are running this weekend - I know Little Fruit Fly and (Just) Trying are running Eugene, and Skinny Runner (and maybe Bro?!). Rad Runner and Canadian in Exile are hitting the OC Marathon. Once Upon A (L)ime and I are doing PCRF Cinco De Mayo Half (not together, she's way fast).


I know I've forgotten a bunch, but good luck everyone!

15 comments:

  1. QUOTE: "I don't want my 4 year old to be... mature."

    Lol, that happens if you are parent-blogger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck this weekend - maybe we'll run into each other again and your oldest can tell us how awkward it is...

    ReplyDelete
  3. People are always saying my son is mature, too, because his language is so developed (he's almost 3). But I agree with you. I want him to be little! They grow up so fast, darn it, and I'm sure Gabby's situation makes it feel faster. Hugs to you and rock that half!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont need to say good luck at the race, this race is so much more then 13.1 miles for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck to you too! I hope you can enjoy your race. It's time for you to focus on you and get away from life's stress for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your entry today made me cry - i don't know if it's cuz I'm over tired from waking early to watch the royal wedding or from the nerves I have for my 1/2 next weekend but I'm here - crying and wishing your little one didn't have to fight this. Next week I'm running for my 4 year old niece who is fighting a similar battle which began when she was 2, two months after her dad died suddenly. I raised just over $1000 her fight to "smackdown" leukemia. I've been worried about my time too... thank you for the perspective that it doesn't really matter. What matters is I'm running to honour her battle. thank you and good luck on your run xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry about her appointment this week, those are really not so great terms to use. :( I hope you do have a great race though. In my thoughts this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMIGOSH--I don't think I knew Gabby was facing this battle. Thinking of you. You're right, pace means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

    Good luck on your race this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sweet baby, my love and waves of good thoughts for this next round.
    You will do great this weekend, let this fuel you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck this weekend, I'll be thinking of you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. praying for her!!! and for you! I think she is in good hands and will come out stronger. Maybe she will be a nurse when she is older.
    ;)

    don't worry about pace, just enough the steps you can take while running. It will ease your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. New follower here! I look forward to reading about your races and getting updates on your little sweetheart! She's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy cow - seriously? That's the best nickname they could give it? Ugh.

    She does look like a grown up little girl in that picture. I mean if I was the one that had to have something put in or out of me I'd be crying in the corner. But she is handling it so well, like a big girl!

    ReplyDelete

Comments rock.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails