Friday, March 18, 2011

Photo Friday

Have you noticed yet that I'm a blog-idea-stealer? It's kind of true.

I've been meaning to blog about weight. And weight loss. And diets, and that Racing Weight book. But I haven't.

I've also been meaning to post about how running has changed my body. But I haven't.

The Studly Runner Marcia posted about Racing Weight today, and Becka posted about P90X making her even more awesome (who knew it was even possible...), so I'm killing two birds with one stone and taking my inspiration from them. Well, three birds - Foto Friday. (that hurt to type).

I picked up Racing Weight at Barnes and Noble a few weeks ago, and used the equation to determine my "ideal" racing weight.

According to that book, I should weigh just about what my 12 year old weighs.

I'd like to lose maybe 25 lbs. That would put me about in the middle of the "healthy" range for my height. The suggested weight was 18 lbs LESS.

Madness.

I'm not a 12 year old girl. I'm a 32 yr old mom to three kids. I have hips. I have a bum. I have boobs. I don't know that I've EVER weighed what my 12 year old weighs, except maybe... when I was 12. Of course, by the time I was her age, I was a C cup already, and she's... not. Lucky.

I just don't think that weight is reasonable, FOR ME.

I eat well, mostly. More importantly, I don't go crazy with guilt when I don't eat the most healthy option. I eat in moderation. I am educated about my food choices. I am always more concerned with making the BEST, more healthy decision, over the choice that will fit in a "diet".

My metabolism is wonky, because it takes seriously like an act of Congress for me to lose weight. I've been tracking my calories (and carbs, fats, proteins, etc., via SparkPeople) for a few weeks. I've not had one day where I ate over 1850 cals in a day. My average caloric intake is around 1620 daily. According to Spark People, my BMR is 1900.

Over that same time frame (16 days), I've burned 2894 calories. That averages to 180 calories/day. If you follow the general rule that you have to burn 3500 cals to lose a single pound, I should have lost about 2 pounds in the last 16 days.

I've lost 0. Well, half of one. So 0.5 lbs down.

And that's kind of okay, because, frankly, I'm just not as concerned about being a specific weight, as I am knowing that what I'm putting in is good for me. That's the mentality I want my kids to have, as well.

And it works FOR ME.

But what's MORE important than that for me, is this...


Photobucket

(I swear I'm not sucking in)

Photobucket

These used to be skin tight on me. It wasn't the best look.

I did drop about 10 lbs between October and February, when I first started running, and then in the hospital. But since then, it's kind of plateued.

I don't run, or eat (mostly) good for me for the weight. I do it because it feels good, and I want to be healthy. Cancers and heart disease and high blood pressure and diabetes all run in my family. I want to do what I can to mitigate that. And if it means that right now I'm eating grapefruit because (1) it was a quarter, and (2) it is better for me than the Godiva chocolate covered strawberries that I *really* want, well. That's a small price to pay, isn't it?

Anyway. I guess my only point, really, is that being HEALTHY, IMO, is more important than a number on the scale. Obviously the number can indicate some risks - too high or too low - but it's the be all, end all of you, nor is it the determining factor to your fitness. The H is in great shape, and kicks my butt in most things of a physical nature, but I can take him down on any leg strength test you could name. I mean, I still can't do a "real" push up, but those squats, they're my bish.

/soapbox.

I ran last night, 20 minutes, per the suggestion of the salesperson who walked away with some nice commission after I bought new shoes and orthotics... and The Ankle cooperated!! Thanks, Ankle! First 1.75 miles of the Cupcake Marathon down!

Happy Friday! Don't forget to enter my GU and RoadID Giveaway! HERE

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with the new shoes and the orthotics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment on my blog! I am really enjoying reading yours! Congratulations on your weight loss journey! Jeans are a great indicator for measurement--that darn number on the scale can be so frustrating to me! I always think, muscle weighs more than fat...eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the baggy jeans and the new shoes! Sounds like you have a good handle on what is right for you. Enjoy both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard mixed things about Racing Weight, I'm scared to see what my weight should be! It's probably the same weight that Wii Fit said I should be : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. sometimes the body just likes to hold onto weight, for security. especially if you are burning more than you take in. Then all of a sudden , it lets go. Looks like your on the right path though. as long as you feel good!!
    LC

    ReplyDelete

Comments rock.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails