Thursday, March 14, 2013

Three Things Thursday

1. I have completely, totally, 100% lost my running mojo. It's GONE. GONE GONE GONE. I managed one lame-o 3.5 mile run the other day with a friend, and that was just about all I felt like doing. I meant to run last night, and didn't. I have my running stuff with me today, so maaaaaaybe? Bah.

Sure hope I re-find my mojo for this weekend. Sorry in advance, Rose.


2. I bet I seem pretty mellow for someone whose daughter is going in for surgery today, eh? (if you have no idea what I'm saying, Gabby was scheduled for her port removal today). Last week when we got the call to stop treatment, they noted that her bilirubin levels were high. They wanted to re-draw labs on Monday, just to make sure she rebounded before sending her under the knife.

Well, she didn't rebound - her bilirubin was still high, and additionally, her ANC is pretty low - this measures a type of white blood cells in her system, and determines, basically, her ability to fight off infection (one of the side effects of chemo is a depressed immune system). When she was first diagnosed, her ANC had to be above 750 to even release her from the hospital.

Monday, it was 550ish.

Sooooo, we're back on hold for awhile. Instead of once a month, she'll have labs drawn weekly for the next few weeks to see how she's doing.

Guess it's a good thing I didn't plan a Port Removal Party?


3. Check out these cupcakes:

Photobucket

Photobucket
There were also chocolate stegasaurus domes that I somehow missed a picture of, but they were hilarious.
When I was party planning, I knew I wouldn't have the time to mess with desserts. I love to bake, but since I declared this the party where I DO ALL THE CRAFT THINGS, I just wouldn't have time. So, I decided to outsource. I hunted around on Yelp, and found Rooney Girl Bake Shop. I reached out to Maria, asking if she would consider a discount for the fundraising event/party, and she - far beyond my expectations - offered to donate four dozen cupcakes for the event.

Maria, the owner, was exceptional to work with - I am pretty party-planning illiterate, and only managed to explain that Gabby likes dinosaurs, and purple. And from that, she developed the designs above.
In addition to being the cutest things EVER, they are the BEST cupcakes I've ever eaten.
The cupcakes are really well priced, and better than any of the other gourmet cupcakes I've tried (and I try a LOT of cupcakes - remember in January I went to Disney World and did Tour de Cupcake? THESE WERE EVEN BETTER).

If you're in SoCal and looking for something for an event, I cannot reccomend Rooney Girl enough. You can find her website and ordering/pricing info HERE - she even delivers in LA and OC. She also has an etsy shop with amazing decorations that you can order, and have shipped. Check that out HERE.

9 comments:

  1. We're going to have fun, that's all that matters.

    Those cupcakes, man, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cupcakes look fantastic! Sorry to hear about the surgery, I hope Gabby is doing better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Gab can get that star trek transponder device removed from her chest soon! Hang in there, both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just have some fun on Saturday - you'll be with Rose after all!
    Sorry about Gabby. Sending her high ANC thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about the surgery, but the cupcakes are awesome! Hope everything goes well to do it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope Gabby is better soon...and you can get that surgery done.
    have a good one with Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hoping all is A-okay with G. also-those cupcakes look AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about the surgery. Have a fabulous weekend, you'll do epic stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. fun post! your newest follower!

    http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments rock.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails