Monday, December 13, 2010

The Non-Race Report

aka, the Day The Sun Ruined My Life.

I decided against the Make Room for Santa 10K - the registration was $45, and I wasn't super thrilled about another "family" event after the Dana Point Fiasco. Instead, I mapped a super simple loop through my neighborhood:



I dressed "Race Ready", 'cause... why not, right? It's tough to see, but the socks are black/purple argyle.

Photobucket

4yr old photographers are the best.

Anyway. The H and I were both running. He offered to run the loop opposite direction from me, so he could meet me at some point with his water bottle. I declined, 'cause it was lovely and cool outside when we were leaving (foreshadowing!). So we took off, and I didn't see him again until I got home.

The first mile always sucks, and I want to quit immediately. I feel sluggish, and my legs are tired immediately, and I always wonder why I'm doing this. It felt like it took forever, but after I hit the 2 mile mark, I feel good. I had my pace times written down, and was watching - I was banking some time, but felt really good still. I was planning on 11:45-12 min/mile, and was hitting a little less.

2 miles, all is well... hit 3 miles, and I'm kinda thirsty, and realize it's getting warm. Hm.

Mile 3.5, and I think I might die. It's HOT. I slowed down a little. The sun is EVERYWHERE. Thankfully, there's a park restroom and water fountain around 3.7. Score!

Quick potty break, and drink some water, and I'm off again... this is what my stop-light wait looked like:

Photobucket


Awful.

Hit mile 4, and I feel okay - not great, it's still hot, there's no shade, blah blah. But I know there's only 2 miles left, and I KNOW I can run two miles. Hit 4.5 miles, and that.was.the.end. I thought I was going to puke in someone's yard. I walked, a lot. The last .75 miles, I was sprinting through the sun and walking through the shade. Terrible.

My splits? Ugly.

Photobucket


Woodbridge and the Sun, 1. Heather, 0.

Finish time was 1:11:28. Not terrible, and I intended to finish by 1:15, so I'm happy with that, but bummed that I didn't plan better. Oh well. There's always next weekend.

5 comments:

  1. Nice job! And "ugly" splits are better than no splits I always say. Wait...no I don't...what are splits??

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's how fast you do each mile... see how my mile time for 4 and 5 is awful, compared to the others? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. No! Too soon for hot runs again! Kudos to you - that's a lot of miles. My calves were hurting just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the bad runs that make the good ones that much better. At least you looked adorable and honestly you did a great job. Your 4 year old is a photographer:) I hate race entry fees...I am way too cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you have to work this week and 4 days next week. BOO!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments rock.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails