Monday, December 27, 2010

Doing Good Things Makes Me Happy

Who knew, right?

Sunday, I had the privelege of working aid station #2 at the 4.5 mile mark of the Operation Jack Marathon. As I blogged a few weeks ago, I had originally signed up for the half option, but chickened out last week. Since I already had the morning free, and they were still looking for vounteers, I figured, why not.

And I'm so glad I did.

I've done two races. One had great support for the runners (CDM5K). The other had one, abandoned and messy, aid station (Dana Point. Ask me for ONE good thing about that race, I dare you). Granted, these were both 5K's, not anything close to a half or full marathon, but having just done a run with unprepared, and with no water, I am beginning to see how imporant these little things can be when you're out there.

Anyway, I worked this aid station with another runner, and a mom and her kid putting in some required volunteer hours. Our station was awesome. Could you ask for a better view? Probably not.

Photobucket


Plus, we were prepared.

Photobucket



It was a looped course, so we saw the halfers twice, and the full marathoners four times. They were all so awesome, and grateful, and kept thanking us for being there. Um. Dude, you're the one running a gazillion miles, I'm just hanging out on the beach with some water and gatorade. Thank YOU!

This dude said it was his second marathon for THE DAY.

Photobucket



And the tall chick here was busy tying the Guinness record for the most marathons completed in a year... This was #106.

Photobucket


Afterwards, we went to lunch, and the 1st place guy was seated at my table. This dude was no joke about his running... "I'm training for the Avalon 50... it's a nice, mid-distance run."

50 miles, you know, nothing big.

Anyway, Sam's 61 marathons this year are over, but check out his blog, here:
Operation Jack

If you've never volunteered at a race before, seriously, go do it.

4 comments:

  1. You are awesome. I've only volunteered once for a race and it was years before I started racing myself. Volunteers make the race, I'm sure everyone appreciated what you did. Rockstar!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was great meeting you and working at the aid station with you. good luck at the disney princess 1/2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like it was a fun time...
    I have been thinking about volenteering at a triathlon, I think I will now..sounds fun
    Kenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool that you volunteered! I think if I wasn't able to race I would like to volunteer sometime. I don't know if they even realize how much just a smile from a stranger can be when you are "dying" out there!

    ReplyDelete

Comments rock.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails