Friday, September 30, 2011

Friday was made for GREAT things.

So, yeah. I ran last night. It was nothing to write home about, except for the fact that I’m NOT in pain now. Take THAT, jerk shin.

.25mi warm up walk, then started jogging, and at first, there was kind of a pokey pain on my shin. It felt like it was getting progressively worse, and after a whole, whopping one minute, I melted down on the treadmill, turned it off, and started to walk away. Luckily, there was no one else in the gym, because I decided I was going to try at LEAST a little bit more. So I did. And no pain, none at all. 3 miles and another .25 mi cool down later, some ice, foam rolling, and Tommie Copper’s, and I’m feeling good.

Which leaves me with a dilemma. What to do this weekend? I skipped my 12 miler last weekend, in favor of a billion hours on the elliptical and cycling (boooooring). I’ve done 2 ten milers and 1 eleven in this training cycle, but it’s been a few weeks. I’m sure I could cover the distance, but I’m feeling definitely under trained. It’s a strange feeling…

So, what’s your vote? Long, slow run? Short, slow run? What to do, what to do….

Sadly of note in last nights run, was how friendly my thighs have suddenly gotten with each other. WTF, thighs? It’s only been, like, 10 days. You can’t expand that quickly. Shut up.

********************
Yesterday, we (as in, I) had a little bit of a scare with Gabby. It’s been 2 glorious weeks since maintenance started, and all is going well. She’s been feeling well; her attitude (as always) is unfailingly great; we’ve gotten a routine down to give her chemo every day… easy peasy.

Except yesterday, the day of her first trip back to clinic for blood work, for the first time since we left the hospital, she woke up and started puking.

And man, I panicked. It’s like I’ve never seen a kid vomit before. And I assure you, I have.

I’ll spare you the rest of my day (which consisted of freaking out in my head, texting the poor H incessantly asking how she was, and waiting, just waiting, for the clinic to call with something terrible), and skip right to how at the end of the day she was feeling fine, jumping on the furniture, and playing with legos. The end.

**********************
I found this picture saved in my phone twice. Fitting, eh?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Oh. And this one, but only once.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Obviously I’m telling myself something. Like, I can't brain, apparently almost any days.

**********************
A couple people emailed and asked me where eating out fits in that budget I posted yesterday.

We don’t eat out frequently. The H works from home in the evenings, so dinners out are a no go. I won’t go without him, it seems rude. Well, unless I’m going out with other people, sans kids. Then it just makes sense.

Anyway. I do my long runs Saturday mornings, so breakfast is out. I hate the idea of spending a fortune for 5 people to eat out at lunch, so I just don’t. Saturday dinner is a possibility, I guess.

And then the H works Sunday’s, all day. So no go no Sunday as well, which SUPER bums me out, because I love nothing more in this world than a delicious breakfast out on Sunday mornings. But, oh well. I also like paying for electricity and food, so I guess I’ll have to let him work.

But I like to cook, and I’m pretty good at it, so luckily, it’s not a huge deal. If I feasibly COULD, I’d eat out every meal, every day, and cook only for fun, but that’s not a good plan if you don’t want to be an elephant, and have cash to buy baking supplies, so…

So, no, the $75 does not include food outside of the house, because we don’t really plan on eating outside of the house. If we do, we budget for that separately.

*********************
The Cinco de Mayo Half Marathon benefitting Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation opens registration today, and yes… that means fundraising is back! I have some fun ideas floating around, so… be prepared. I’ll ask you to open your wallets, but I promise, you’ll get something in return (I mean, beyond the normal warm feeling you get from helping to fund research for a cure better than THIRTEEN PILLS TO A FOUR YEAR OLD).

***********************
Tomorrow, we are hitting up Knott’s Berry Farm’s Snoopy’s Camp Spooky with the kidlets. We’ve never been to Knott’s so I’m pretty excited to see how other theme parks stack up to Disneyland.

Camp Spooky is taking place every weekend in October, and geared towards kids 3-11 (poor, over-aged #1). And, costumes, so that’s fun. And then we’re bailing early so I can go meet up my Ragnar teammates!

That’s a wrap, folks. Was that super random, or what? Holy crow.

7 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that people are concerned where eating out fits in your food budget. When I was a kid we NEVER ate out except on very rare (and very planned) nights. Nowadays, my family may eat out on Friday evenings, just as a break from the week, but it's by no means every Friday. When did eating out stop being a treat and start being expected, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY that your shin didn't hurt. Woo hoo!!!

    I totally (way too well) get that panic and worry that comes when a chronically sick kid gets a normal kid illness/symptom but you can't help but worry that it is something more/worse. SO GLAD that Gabby is fine!!!

    And I used to visit Redondo Beach every summer (family) and Knotts is my FAVORITE park. I haven't been in a long time but I have always loved it. Hope you have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For this weekend you should plan out a long run, but break it up into loops, so at any point you can cut it short if need be. Maybe three loops, having each loop get faster?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with Rose. Long, slow run that you can cut short if necessary. I'm a crappy, lazy cook, so I'll admit that we eat out a ton. Two days a week we crash at my parents house and between the two of us, well, we probably spend about $60 a week eating out. If I *have* to, I'll cook or cut back. Not necessary at this moment.

    Glad your shin isn't being a jerk for now though!

    So happy to hear Gabs is feeling ok. I would have melted a long time ago. You and the H are awesome.

    Oh. And I like Knott's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll third the loop suggestion, totally logical if your shin plays up you have an escape route.

    Love those pics, a good giggle was had thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote for long slow run. I'd try for 10. only way to know if you can do LB I think. If it hurts I'd stop right away so the 3 loops idea is perfect. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had so much to say but got distracted at the end .... KNOTT'S BERRY FARM!!!!

    I totally almost went there when I was down in Disneyland. It is so cute!

    I'm probably late to the running vote, but when I don't feel all there I just try to go out for a slow, long one and then adjust as needed and give myself a break if I feel I have to cut it short. I've learned that for me I'd rather stay injury free than get in miles and then end up missing a month from an injury.

    ReplyDelete

Comments rock.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails