While that is browning, combine in a bowl:
- Minced garlic - 3 or 4 cloves
- 1/4 t ginger
- 3/4 t hot sauce
- 1/4 c apple juice
- 1/3 c light brown sugar
- 2 T ketchup (I know, I know, but don't freak out. I promise it works out.)
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 c water
- 1/3 c soy sauce
- 1 t onion powder
This makes a pretty dark, fairly sweet magical sauce.
After the chicken has browned, remove it from the pan, and add the sauce. Bring to a boil. Re-add the chicken, lower heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
I fed this to the kidlets with steamed rice and green beans.
The substitutions/changes that I made were:
- I didn't have apple cider vinegar, so I used balsamic.
- I didn't have chili flakes, so I used Trader Joes hot sauce.
- I like garlic, a lot, so I used more than the original recipe called for.
Things I might do differently, should I be so inclined:
- I'd prefer to make my own ketchup, or use similar ingredients rather than.. ketchup
- If my family wouldn't freak out, I'd add more hot sauce :(
- Broccoli instead of green beans (which I only got because Target had these frozen bags on clearance for $0.44!)
- Brown rice instead of white
- Maybe sub low-sodium soy sauce, and use fresh grated ginger