Monday, December 3, 2012

Typhoon Running: Not Highly Recommended

I've got to say. The weather was not great, clearly. It was NOT A JOKE when the forecast said 100% chance of rain. They meant it.

BUT.

I freaking LOVED CIM. I mean, I'm partial to run-nesia, so it's possible I'm mis-remembering, but I am pretty sure I had fun. Once I realized I could not talk Becka into quitting, I think, I decided to just take the pelting rain bullets and run as much as we could.

For us, the rain stopped around mile 20, and it was GLORIOUS after that - cool, slight breeze, and the course is just lovely. (Don't ask me about the first 10 miles, I have NO IDEA what was happening - every time I looked up, I was stabbed in the eyeball by rain).

Even under really, really crappy conditions, CIM was fantastic. The logistics worked out beautifully - I was confused by the bus ticket situation, but it completely made sense once it was actually in practice - the course support was pretty amazing, the volunteers were great, and there were spectators - SPECTATORS - out in that weather. The course seemed really pretty from what I could tell, but I have no idea about the hills, since I kept my head down a LOT. I did NOT go for a PR - it was a PW by a good 20+ minutes. Once I saw the conditions, I let it go.

That's really all of a recap that I have to give - I thought it was an amazing race, and I'll do it again. I feel like it needs a do-over.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
not a lie.
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
A bit breezy...

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
First river crossing. I guess this picture has been shared a billion times on the internet machine, but it's mine. That really happened.
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Chickens are immune to rain?

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
So pretty!

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Really, really pretty!


Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Yum.

Untitled
Shiny.

32 comments:

  1. You have a great attitude and I'm glad you enjoyed your rain adventure! Congrats on your tough race!

    ReplyDelete

  2. Congrats!!! Wow in those conditions I might have stayed home. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on making through that crazy race! Strangely, I had so much fun at the start when the weather was the worst. It was very surreal. I agree with you though -- I think this race needs a do-over. Next year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are totally bad ass for finishing! I can't even imagine how miserable all that rain really was. Aside from the rain, it does look like a very pretty course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa. That river crossing pic.

    Glad it cleared up for the end, though! Man. I want to do this in 2013. I'll have to talk the hubs into it, though.

    Good job, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a bit sad we forgot to have someone get a picture of us in our awesome outfits.

    Thanks for sticking with me. Sure would have been a LOT less fun without you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you had a good time. I am not sure I could have stayed so positive in those conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are super tough! So glad you still enjoyed it despite the crazy conditions. I am running CIM next year. I would LOVE to finally meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe how positive you stayed!! Isn't this your second marathon in the rain? You deserve a dry one in your near future. Congrats on gutting it out and finishing!! And for having a famous photo. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! I'll remember this post the next time I'm stuck in the rain for a race. ugh! Congrats on finishing another one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did your feet get all torn up from getting so wet?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah! Love that you did it and your pic is so famous now. How did you ever get a great photo in the rain? Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats~ You are amazing for running that.

    And I am shivering just thinking about how wet it was.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The intersections were all little river crossings! The worst parts. Great picture, glad you are famous for it.

    I believe the rain stopped just as I was getting in my car to drive home...cruel, just cruel. The day was literally screaming perfection from 11:00 a.m. on.

    But, I had a good adventure too. CIM is such an easy race to love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That picture of the river crossing sums up the conditions so well...and that's why everyone is using it! Way to exercise those awesome photojournalist talents ;-) So impressed you did this! And oddly, watching you all out there gave me the marathon itch..even in those conditions. lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your attitude and glad that you enjoyed it in spite of the horrible weather conditions!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your race photos are awesome and the words you used to describe the conditions are just spot on. It is a nice course, shame about the rain. I also feel like it deserves a do-over. I just can't think about that right now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so awesome for being so positive in such an ugly situation...I probably would've stayed on the bus.

    However, I am very disappointed in the lack of an outfit picture. You need a do-over for that reason alone!

    ReplyDelete
  19. HOLY BALLS, that's just effing crazy!!!

    I could really take a page from your book about attitude. I'd have been a miserable little bitch for 26.2 miles... IF I had even toed the line in that mess!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job Heather! I would have been swimming. The weather should be better next year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. no really. wasn’t expecting an “i love this race” post. holy crap that is some insane rain. you literally ran through a creek. NO THANK YOU. but yall rock. send me your address-i’m sending you mickey ears! oh, and congrats!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your photos! Those flooded streets were unreal. Congrats on a new PW! That always helps up the fun factor of the actual race! :) My race was kinda un-fun.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bully for you! Great attitude:) Loved ur post. We were all out in the elements, the difference was in the mental strength, not the miles logged by our legs. I really don't understand folks who spend all that time training, only to complain when they don't PR or have everything go "their" way. Running "is" life, and ur someone who gets that. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Truly, I didn't think the conditions were horrible. Rain isn't bad--the wind during the Ten Oaks section wasn't fun, but otherwise, it's still better than heat in my book.

    I'd like to get a re-do on that course--it is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I loved it too! It was my first and my time sucked but I did it! Your pictures are beautiful. Wish I had taken some.

    ReplyDelete
  27. you could bottle up that positive running attitude and sell it! along with copyrights to your rain picture.

    congrats on another marathon!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Although it sounds crazy that you had fun during this race, I have to agree with you - CIM weekend was the most fun I've had in awhile! Especially the part where I got to see you and Becka at dinner! <3

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yay! I love how the weather cleared at the end, talk about "Comin Out Of the Dark" (sorry, I couldn't help quoting Gloria Estefan). Congrats Girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Uh, your view of the last 6 miles was much prettier than mine! I didn't lose the rain until mile 25! Jealous! Congrats on surviving that marathon! PS I stole (but gave you credit) your photo that has been shared a billion times :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Uh, your view of the last 6 miles was much prettier than mine! I didn't lose the rain until mile 25! Jealous! Congrats on surviving that marathon! PS I stole (but gave you credit) your photo that has been shared a billion times :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I dig your river crossing pic. I did NOT want to take my phone out in that weather. I had mixed feelings about the storm breaking at the finish though...

    Here's my report, if you[re interested:

    http://wander-place.blogspot.com/2012/12/race-report-2012-california.html

    ReplyDelete

Comments rock.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails