Monday, December 17, 2012

The world ain’t half as bad as they paint it to be...

Last Week:
Tuesday: 7 miles
Wednesday: Yoga
Thursday: oops
Saturday: Make Room for Santa 10k
Sunday: 16 easy


This Week:
Monday: Cross Training
Tuesday: 7 miles
Wednesday: Yoga/Rest/Cross Training
Thursday: 7 miles
Friday: Rest/Cross Training
Saturday: 10 miles
Sunday: 20 miles (!!)

I'll recap the 10k, and other weekend festivities, tomorrow....


********************************************************************************

Unlike almost any other news story since probably 9/11, this story has weighed heavily on me. It has simultaneously transfixed me - I need to read the events, I need to know how this happened - and rendered me incapable of even following along - I cannot look at the pictures of those kids, I can't watch the stories of their families.

I am not sure what about it speaks so resonantly - maybe because I have a kindergartner, or I have a kindergartner that I was so close to losing, that now I am hyper aware of that potential. It's unspeakable.

Without going into politics, I don't think this is a gun control issue. People who are ready to do something this insane, are not going to allow a law to simply stop them.

I ran my long run on the treadmill Sunday, flipping between Chopped and Real Housewives of somewhere, carefully avoiding the CNN feed on the treadmill next to me.

While I was running, that lyric stood out to me. It's so, so easy to get caught up in the bad, so easy to think the world is just hard and unfair.

It is - it IS hard and unfair sometimes. But chances are, you're also really, really blessed with a lot of things.

Those things, that's what is way more important. The world isn't bad. It's not. I can't believe that it is.

You can donate here to Sandy Hook School Support Fund, via the United Way of Western Connecticut. You can also donate here to the non-profit mental health clinic Newton Youth and Family Services, who are providing support for the families and community.


2 comments:

  1. It stinks that it takes tragedy and bad things in life to remind us what is important. *hug*

    ReplyDelete

Comments rock.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails