We got an official diagnosis of Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. As far as leukemia goes, apparently, this is not too bad. Gabby's prognosis is very, very good - she has a 95-97% chance of being totally fine when this is over. But it's a long road to being over. She is starting chemotherapy treatments today. She'll continue with treatments for at least two years, in varying degrees. The first moth is pretty intense, then it might change slightly. She will loose her hair. She wont be able to go to school, or crowded places. We have to be very cautious with her when anyone is sick. Basically, it's going to change our reality for the next few years. We had a trip tentatively planned to Disney World in April... That's a definite no go.
Things I've learned in the last 5 days:
1. When the ICU nurse asks if you want to hang your kids artwork, get comfortable. You're gonna be there awhile.
2. 12, I hear, is the age when kids are totally capable of taking care of themselves and don't need a babysitter overnight. At least that's what #1 would have you believe.
3. Not sleeping more than 3 hours at a time for 4 nights makes you oversleep your alarm the first night you go home. And you might miss walking 1 & 2 to school. Bummer.
4. Waiting is not my thing. I dislike it.
5. I have great friends.
6. Do you know what a port is? 'cause.... I do. And its pretty much the creepiest thing I've ever heard of.
7. You never know what will happen. All my concerns about eliminating chemicals, and eating local and organic, and going no 'poo... All rendered irrelevant. You. Never. Know.
We're at the hospital at least another week. Things are going as well as can be expected - she's pretty suspicious of everyone she sees, since she keeps getting stuff done to her, but hopefully that will subside now that she has this port put in.
I'm on the fence about the Princess half. Right now, I can't imagine leaving, but I'm sure the situation will be different in 7 weeks. Its all paid for, but I'm losing a few weeks of training. Tough to say. The half this weekend is out, so I'm glad I procrastinated and didn't register.
Anyway. So that's our update. Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. I appreciate all of them.