Friday, July 27, 2012

The funnest part of racing is the not running parts

FIRST - the priority of the day is... SHOES


I've been wearing Saucony's for awhile - Triumph for longer runs, and Genesis for shorter/speed work.

Then I got the Brooks in Seattle, and I've been wearing those mostly for the last month - Glycerine's I wore on my 18 miler a few weeks ago, and the Pure Flow for almost everything else.

I'm a little in love with the Pure Flow, and they are, hands down, the most favorite thing I've put on my feet in forever.

BUUUUUUT. I haven't worn them for a run with any type of length - I think 7 or 8 miles is the max I've put on them at one time.

But they're purple, and match my outfit really well.

I wore the Saucony's for my 9 miles last weekend, and... boo. They're no longer my favorite, and are actually at the bottom of my shoe rotation now - I don't know that I'll wear them again.

WWYD? Chance it in the Pure Flow? Run with the Glycerine's?
These are the things that keep me up at night.
*****************************************************************************

I AM SO EXCITED to meet up with so many runners this weekend! Seriously. These races are like runner/blogger heaven.

*****************************************************************************

I was super, super, SUPER EXCITED to spend the weekend in San Francisco with BFF Becka. Sadly, a good friend of her's passed away this week.

I don't really know what to say, because, I'm pretty verbally awkward, and OBVIOUSLY I'd love to see B, but I completely get that her head is somewhere else and understand if she can't make the trip.

Words don't really seem adequate, so in place I texted her a ridiculous picture I saw on the internet machine.

Which is my way of saying, I'm sorry you're hurting, and hope you find the peace you need. And don't feel obligated to me in any way, I'm totally capable of running on my own or finding a new pace friend.

Boo.

*****************************************************************************
It kind of snuck up on me, but San Francisco Marathon is this weekend!

Did you know? A marathon is still 26+ miles?

And that you have to actually propel yourself on your feet through all of those miles?

Madness.

So, as kind of evidenced by an incredible lack of blogging lately, I'm feeling kind of undertrained and nervous. I haven't run a ton, because July has been pretty busy for me. Also because I'm lazy.

I don't know. I feel like the 5 weeks between Seattle and now was just an awkward amount of time to recover, maintain mileage, and taper, especially when you add in the week in Florida where I boycotted running through the swamp air. Poor planning on my part, but not really, since none of it could be changed. Well, except for the part where I'm lazy and didn't run. I guess that was in my control.

Anyway, needless to say, I don't really have goals for this race as far as finishing at a certain time (except for the 6 hour course limit. THAT is important).

What I'd REALLY like to do, is run a mentally strong race.

In Seattle, my brain shut down and I quit, well before my body gave up. I went in thinking that ANYTHING was possible with my body - who knows what the weather will be like, what if Jerk Shin is wonky, the hip that gave me troubles in Ragnar and PCRF, who knows. It didn't really occur to me that my mental game was going to be the first to give in. I never considered that an option.

But now that I know that it is, in fact, an option.... well, now I know. And hopefully I won't just quit.

So that's my goal - don't quit, and ignore my brain.

I know that the course is tough, and that I'm ill prepared for the hills - and yeah, I have a coach, but it's totally not her fault I sucked at following her carefully laid out plans.

A small PR wouldn't suck, either. But pretty much, if I run ANY of miles 22-26, I should nail that...

********************************************************************************

EXCELLENT SHOPPING DEALS

BICBands is supporting Wounded Warrior project right now - and if you buy 2 bands and use code 2ND you'll get free 1st class mail shipping. Score. I ordered 2 already, and hoping the gunmetal minnie is back in stock before the code ends. SHOP HERE.

Aspaeris Pivot Shorts - I swear by my #magicpants. I wore them in Seattle, and had minimal recovery time after. I wear them for almost every long run. Right now, if you buy the RED short (hello, red!), you'll receive a pair of black FREE. Shop here.

{disclaimer, I wasn't asked to blog about either of these - I just actually love the products, and the deals are excellent}

9 comments:

  1. Not sure I'd run a half (yikes, or a full!) for the first longish run for the minimalist Pure Flows. S' feet hurt a bunch after running a half in his Nike Frees (I know they're different, but you get the gist of building up the mileage).

    Now, those Glycerines. Oh yeah, baby, can't wait to see what they'll do for my next half.

    Good luck this weekend. Hugs to you and B. I think you said it really well. She knows you care and will be okay, no matter what she decides to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome <3

    You know what is hilarious? I was totally planning on wearing my purple Brooks because they would match, even though I've never run longer than a 1/2 in them... I mean, I think matchy matchy is what is really important here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd suggest the Glycerines if you haven't done a LR in the Flows yet. The lower heel drop can really fuck with you and fatigue muscles in your feet/legs that aren't used to them yet. Don't give yourself one more thing to worry about, use what's been working! And don't pack that other bucket we talked about last night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd run in the Glycerin. Trying something new, especially a lighter shoe!, might be a big problem. Maybe slip into the Flow as your recovery shoe? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say go with the Glycerin's. I'm wearing flows for my training this go round but I'd worry about doing all 26 miles when you aren't used to it.

    I already ordered my red shorts, now I gotta go check out those Bic Bands you're talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being the minimalist zealot that I am, I say go with the Flows (and look how poetic that was!). My experience in going with less and less shoe has been that when a pair starts to feel too big or heavy, you're ready to make the switch to the new ones. I am just about there with zero drop shoes right now.

    Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've worn the Flows for long runs and they work well, I do love them (but probably love the new Saucony Kinvara 3s a bit better). Good luck in SF Marathon - I did that a couple years ago and had one of the most fun times running a marathon ever! The bridge made me a bit queasy though, I get motion sickness really easily. I ran as close to the inside of the bridge as I could and that helped a little.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck! I wear my Pure Flows for all my long runs and marathons and they are awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I give a huge shoutout to Aspaeris. (PS this is my opinion too). Ordered their new deal and they noticed the size was a bit small (XS) and even called and emailed to let me know that most people who usually wear a XS need a S within an hour of my order and walked me through which size to order. I've never seen customer service like that before!

    ReplyDelete

Comments rock.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails