Super Duper Extra Special Lofty Goal: 2:15
- It’s not entirely outside of the realm of possibilities. The Jesse at Journey Thru Life did it just last week, and we seem to be pretty similar paces.
- That’s a 10:18 avg pace. That’s definitely a steep goal for me, looking at my training paces. HOWEVER. I seem to always finish long runs with a giant kick. I mean, like 1-2 min per mile faster for the last few miles. Obviously I’m not running my long runs to my fullest potential.
- IF I pace smart (haha), and everything falls into place, and the stars and planets all align *just so*, this is a time I wouldn’t be sad to see.
Reasonable Goal That Would Definitely Please Me: 2:20
- Remember, back in May when this was my goal pace, and I completely sucked at pacing myself AND choked AND it was hot AND AND AND? 2:20 seems pretty doable now, but really.
- 10:41 avg pace. Not super scary.
- I’ve kept my long runs at slow, easy pace on purpose. My long, easy pace always ends with me kicking it up the last few miles, because I’m ready to be done. But, my long run paces have gone from 11:44, to 11:33, to 11:16. That last 11 miler, went like this…. 5 miles @ 11:49, 3 miles @ 11:20, 3 miles @ 10:00. (Of note, that last 3 miles is faster than my 5K PR)
Don’t Die Goal: 2:30
- To be honest, I’m not even printing out a pace band for this goal, THAT’S how confident I am. Take THAT, taper nerves.
- Both my race buddy and I have never broken 2:30, so it would be a PR for both of us.
- 11:27 pace. I’m confident we will BOTH kill that.
Other quirks that may force my race buddy to ditch me at mile 2
- I think I'm going to aim for a comfortable 4:1 run/walk for the first several miles. It takes me a few miles to warm up, and I train ALL of my long runs as a run/walk.
- Probably somewhere around mile 6, I'll switch this up to a 4:30/:30 ratio. That's what has worked for me in the past.
- And then, maybe, kick it up more around mile 11. We'll see.
- It's forecast to be EFFING HOT. I hate the hot. And the sun. That damn sun wrecks my life. Hopefully we'll run fast enough we really beat the heat. It could happen.
- I think I'll carry my handheld, just in case. I hate feeling like I'm thirsty. Absolutely hate it. I know there are a billion water stops on the course, but I don't care.
- I also might walk at water stops. I like them.
- The fueling plan that has worked for me on long runs: GU at 45 minutes, margarita shot blocks at 1:15, and another GU at 1:45. I know that seems like a lot to a lot of people, but hello, a LOT of people are way faster than me. Plus, I sweat like no other in the sun, and I am a damn salty sweater-er. Those margarita blocks work wonders for me.
- I will try not to slow us down by peeing. But be warned, I have the bladder of a teeny, little bitty turtle. Sorry, again, in advance.
- I cannot talk while I run. It's just not possible, I just am not smart enough or something. I can't make my brain talk at the same time as I'm making my legs move fast(ish). You're welcome to talk to me, but please don't be offended if I don't answer you with more than one syllable.
- Except for occassionally when I decide that I've gotten my second wind and want to run fast AND talk. I apologize if that happens, because it's almost manic and out of my control. I just assume that's when my brain stops working.
Okay. I think that's all. Please don't hate me. Or direct me off course so you can run in peace.
Good luck this weekend, racers!