Thursday, October 21, 2010

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan."

I'm kind of a planner.

I am always cooking up something.. a trip, a plan, something. Sometimes it's little, like dinner tonight. Sometimes, it's big, like a trip in 3 years. But it's always something. Another time, I'll wonder about what that says about me, that I don't just stop and enjoy the moment. Another time.

My newest obsession, to go along with my new-found enjoyment of running, is race planning. I'm stalking all types of websites, listing different races available in the next 12 months. I'm mentally calculating the number of weeks between today and mid-February, and wondering if I'll be ready for a half, and if so, what I should expect to set my goal time at.

Early? Perhaps. I mean, definitely. I can barely run 2.5 miles, I probably should not be eyeballing marathons. I think my problem is that everything past 4 miles, in my mind, kind of all blends together. I mean. If I can do a 10K (6.2 miles), how much worse could a half be (13.1 miles)? It all seems to be the same.

I've already committed to the Dana Point Turkey Trot 5K. I'm looking at a race before that, just... because? No real reason. It seems like a silly idea, but now I'm obsessed with the whole IDEA of race planning, and I want to do it. Now. Patience is not my strongest trait. And being in SoCal, there are TONS to choose from, all the time.

So, my plan is going to be:
Dana Point 5K, Nov. 25
Irvine Make Room for Santa 10K, Dec. 12
Disney Princess Half, Feb. 26

I think.

I've also been investigating Becoming a One Hour Runner, to move on to after C25K. The next (and last) three weeks of C25K are just running, straight through, no more intervals. Conveniently, the first four weeks for One Hour Runner are almost identical to what I'm looking forward to on C25K...

Or I could contiune Bridge to 10K, but it goes back to interval training... which seems like a step backwards? 10 min run, 1 min walk? Hm.

Anyone tried One Hour Runner? Good, bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments rock.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails