Friday, May 24, 2013

#NotEatingAllTheThings - week 2-3.5

I am planning on a Weekend of Gluttony starting at noon today, so I postponed my weigh-in to today.

And I'm up 0.5lbs.

I know this is likely just a normal fluctuation and water weight and it's that time of the month and blah blah. But it's pretty annoying and a little discouraging to see that number go up when I'm being very careful.

Annoying, I say!

I'm going to confess that I haven't followed my work-out plan this week, either, which I'm sure hasn't helped (my waistline nor my mood....) - I ran 3.5 lame ass miles on Tuesday, and just didn't finish, and didn't try again. I started yoga one night, but got 3 minutes in and turned it off. So.... There's that.

 photo null_zpsd1399176.jpg

Of note this week:
I THINK I'm less starving than I was last week. I don't think I quite believe Madison's claims that your stomach will shrink; I think it has more to do with my lack of exercise the last 5 days.

Sometimes, I make a salad SO GIANT I get tired of eating before I'm done. What.

I think I'm eating too many carbs (GASP!) for the amount of running I'm doing. Which is, not much - my loose SFM training plan calls for a peak of 26 miles/week. And at the rate I'm completely KILLING this plan (as in, not at all), I will likely scale that back.

This game is dumb. I'm intrigued to see the results after Weekend of Gluttony. But I'm hard-pressed to feel motivated when I think of all the delicious things I passed on in the last 10 days....



Whatever, game.



5 comments:

  1. I think the lack of running definitely is messing with our consumption. Maybe our metabolism is readjusting or something? I feel like at some point something should... change?

    I have never been one to do measurements, but I actually think my stuff is fitting a bit better even though I am not seeing substantial loss?

    I can't wait to hear about WEEKEND OF GLUTTONY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When will you go back to eating all the things all the time? Way more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some times when you start cutting calories for a few weeks, your body will plateau, and a day (or weekend) of gluttony is just what you need for your body to start burning more calories again. I'm sure you can find a more technical explanation somewhere, but scientist I am not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been trying to lose ~5 lbs before SF Half, with a combo of portion control, cutting down sugar and alcohol, and staying away from processed foods. The hardest thing for me is that I decreased the amount of refined flour and rice that I eat -- which is a BIG deal because I love noodles and rice. I think it has worked to some extent -- I just make sure I have some snacks ready that are both healthy and delicious (which to me is fruit, yogurt, or Kind bars). It's been hard for me to break out of the justification thing -- like, I just ran 9 miles, can't I eat whatever I want? But I also know that this is more than just about weight and my waistline, so I try to focus on being healthy for the long-term. And also, I realized that even though I might love eating noodles during the meal, I always feel so gross after. (in the food coma sense)

    One thing that has reinforced my "diet" is reading Matt Fitzgerald's nutrition book (rules for half marathon and marathon training). It lays out fairly simple rules to follow and is not overly restrictive. He doesn't tell you NOT to eat dessert or fried foods, just that it has to be a tiny proportion of your diet. Best of all, he stresses that carbs are a runner's best friend -- it's just a matter of what kind of carbs to eat.

    Anyway, I think you should do whatever the heck you want. Run if you want to, don't run; eat what you want to, or not. If you're stressing about it, it's not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having other things like jobs etc on your mind isn't helping, I'm sure, there's a level of stress behind everything that's driving your mood and motivation too. I'm one of those people who can't lose weight easily- bad thyroid- and I have to bump up the intensity of my training and the older I get, watch my carb consumption. I've recently gone to a mostly gluten free diet, not because I have a problem eating wheat- but because it limits how easily I can consume carbs. When I make myself stick basically to rice and corn products for my carbs it eliminates A LOT of bad things. That's what I do, might not be practical for you, feeding kids, etc. But occasionally I let myself have a meal of gluttony. I also have eliminated refined sugar (other than the meal of gluttony). Just ideas. But don't force yourself to do anything you don't want to do. Running and races will be there, waiting for you, when you're ready.

    ReplyDelete

Comments rock.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails